Sunday, July 20, 2008

Grandma's Picnic Cake

My family grew up eating this cake many times each summer. As soon as someone would suggest the canyon, my mom would whip up this cake. It is super easy and always a hit. Okay, not always. Hottie doesn't like coconut, so he doesn't like this cake. Dives ate her piece and the rest of Ash's piece. (Ash is my niece that is the same age as Bug). Bug couldn't eat her piece fast enough. Me, I always love this cake. I've only recently started forking the cake to get the frosting to seep into it. An excellent addition as far as I'm concerned. Another thing that I've changed from when my mom used to make it, is the frosting. I've doubled the recipe she used to use. I never felt like there was quite enough. The frosting is really my favorite part of the whole cake. Ash agrees with Hottie, she didn't eat the top.
Now for the recipe...
Pour 1 ½ c hot water over 1 c oats

½ c oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 ½ c flour

Mix all ingredients and then add the oats. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes
Frosting:
¾ c brown sugar
½ c coconut
2 T milk
¾ cube margarine
Boil, remove from heat. Add ½ c nuts (optional)

Punch a bunch of holes in the cake with a fork. Pour frosting over cake.

It will look really runny at first. Then it will seep into the cake and it will cool.

1 comment:

mel said...

I need to find an excuse to make this. It looks so yummy!