Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My version of Mac and Cheese

When I was little, my favorite dinner was Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese. My grandma and grandpa used to get for me and I'd only have it at their house. The other day, Jade wanted some comfort food. After we went to the doctor's office, we went to Smith's. She saw the Stouffer's in the freezer section and that was what she picked. There are A LOT of calories in that little package. So the next day when she wanted mac and cheese, I decided I'd make my own.
Here's my recipe...
1 cup cream cheese (I use the fat free)
2 cups milk
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp Cayenne (just enough to add a kick)
salt and pepper
Elbow macaroni
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
Boil the milk. Stir in the cream cheese, the cheddar cheese and the Parmesan cheese until melted. Season with the Cayenne and the salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, boil the macaroni.
In a casserole pan add the macaroni and pour the cheese sauce over it. You want the sauce to fully cover the noodles. Top with the 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350 until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
The girls loved it and I'll make it again. I won't do it when I'm dieting- cause it's just too hard to stay away from the mac and cheese.

No comments: